Monday, September 24, 2012

THE DOGS OF WINTER: Chapter 1



My new book, The Dogs of Winter, comes out one week from 
today. I thought I'd give everyone a taste of the book my letting you read here the first chapter:




 Chapter 1: Dreams

I dream of dogs. I dream of warm, soft backs pressed against mine, their deep musky smell a comfort on long, bitter nights. I dream of wet tongues, flashing teeth, warm noses, and knowing eyes, watching. Always watching.
Sometimes I dream we are running, the dogs and I, through empty streets and deserted parks. We run for the joy and freedom    in it, never tiring, never hungry. And then, great wings unfold from their backs, spreading wide and lifting the dogs above me. I cry out, begging them to come back, to take pity on this earth-bound boy.
It has been many years since I lived with the dogs, but still I dream. I do not dream of the long winter nights on the streets of Russia; seldom do I dream of the things that drove me from my home. My dreams begin and end with the dogs.



No comments:

Post a Comment