Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fido and Friend in Five: Ann Cannon and Zora!

Ann Cannon and Zora
Have I mentioned Utah has an abundance of talented children's authors? Okay, maybe once or twice, but it's true! Maybe it's the high elevations or the long winters--maybe it's the wild mountains and the red rock of southern Utah. Whatever it is, we write. I first met Ann Cannon about three years ago when I took a local five-day children's writers workshop. Ann was the instructor of the brave band of authors I was grouped with. All of us were unpublished, all of us were hungry and eager and rather wide-ranging in our talent. Ann took care of us with endless wisdom, humor, and patience. Kind of like a den mother. Little did I know, I was right on the cusp of my writing life taking a dramatic change: towards the end of that week with Ann, I signed with my agent and got an offer from WestSide Books to publish The Ring! I think of Ann as my good-luck charm.

Ann lives in Salt Lake City with her husband, Ken, and three parakeets, one parrot, two cats, and one very big dog named Zoe. Oh, and did I mention Ann has five sons? She also writes a column for the Salt Lake Tribune, works at Utah's favorite indie bookstore, The King's English, teaches writing, and somehow actually finds time to write books of her own! Like Ann, her books are rich in heart and humor, no matter what age group she writes for. Whether it's a book about the trials and tribulations of a young pioneer girl or a modern day teenage boy, an Ann Cannon book is a treasure. Ann has a new book coming out in March of 2012, a picture book called Sophie's Fish. This October, University of Utah Press will re-print Charlotte's Rose. Yay Ann!

So let's meet my good-luck charm and her very large (180 pounds!) BFF, Zora!

1.  How did you and Zora find each other?  Zora and I have my husband to thank for our meeting. I'd always wanted a Newfoundland dog but doubted I'd ever have one. Inviting a dog that size to share your home and your life is quite a commitment! But one night Ken said, "I think I've found our next girl." Then he showed me a picture he'd found online of an adorable brown puppy that looked exactly like a baby bear. We called the breeder in L.A. the next day, and the day after that, we headed to the coast to pick up Zora. The rest is history!

2. What makes Zora's tail wag?  Food, for sure. She's related to me that way. I like cupcakes, and unfortunately, so does she.

3. What's your all-time favorite dog book?  Well! Up until this spring, I would have said Where the Red Fern Grows. But a certain book by the fabulous author, Bobbie Pyron, is certainly giving that classic a run for its money! (blush, blush)


4. If Zora could change just one thing about you, what would it be?  I think Zora would make me more tolerant of her drool. Which is SO NOT FAIR OF HER! I'm already massively tolerant of her drool.

5. In five words, tell us what Zora means to you:  Everything's better when Zora's around!

To find out more about the wonderful Ann Cannon and all her doings,
visit her website  www.aecannon.com 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Bobbie. Both Zora and I are thrilled to be featured on your blog.

    ReplyDelete