Friday, June 3, 2011

Why I Write, Part 2

Last week, I posted a fan letter I got from a young girl and her father who are reading my book, A DOG'S WAY HOME, together. I said that connecting with the reader is why I write. Letters like that are a great reminder when sometimes it seems like the whole business end of publishing consumes me.

One of the things I'm really proud of with this book is that it seems to connect with readers of all ages! Even though it's technically a "kid's book" I've gotten many emails from adults who've have read it and were touched by it. The other day, I was delighted to receive this email from Betty. Her email means a lot to me, in part because she is also a Sheltie mom. Betty has two rescued shelties who are the light of her life. I thought I'd share her email. She was also wonderful enough to send me a photo of one of her adopted Shelties, Rosie. Enjoy!

Betty's Rosie!
I'm not sure who it was that mentioned your book "A Dog's Way Home" to me, but maybe I just found it on Amazon.  Whatever, I am SO glad to have bought it as it was very hard to put down.  

I am NOT a young person - in fact I'm 77 years old - but I love Shelties and right now we have two female tri-color Shelties, Rosie and Hannah, who came from the Central Illinois Sheltie Rescue in Bloomington, IL.  They are numbers 4  and 5 from there, (we had Aladdin and Misty) but we had two even before that (Lance and Pixie).  The star on Tam's forehead on the book's cover is almost identical to the one on my Rosie!!!  Shelties are definitely the best dogs in the world!  

This is a most amazing book and even though you wrote it for younger children, I totally enjoyed it.  I'm passing it on to my grandchildren, who also love dogs and all have at least one living with them!  Thank you so much for the great story.  Tam and Abby have won a place in my heart.  I would love to read more about them, perhaps how Tam recovered and maybe how they got to meet all the people who had helped him, and of course if he was able to run and win another agility trial.  I'd be first in line for that book!!!  

Good luck!  

Sincerely,
Betty

No comments:

Post a Comment