Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fido and Friend in FIve: Cheryl Rainfield and Petal!

Cheryl Rainfield
Scars
One of the many blessings of being an author is the good company you keep. I mean seriously, there's just not a nicer group of people than authors who write for kids and teens! I'm very lucky to have two things in common (at least) with the amazing Cheryl Rainfield. One is we both have teen books published by WestSide Books. In case you're not familiar with WestSide www.westside-books.com, they are a newer publisher that pretty much just publishes contemporary, realistic teen fiction. These are books that reflect the real world teens live in. My first book, The Ring, was published by WestSide in 2009 on one of their early lists. With  authors like Cheryl, WestSide is becoming a force in the publishing world. Cheryl's debut novel, Scars, has really put WestSide on the map. It's won several awards and appeared on many "top" lists like ALA's Top 10 Quick Picks. Scars explores sensitively and compassionately the issue of cutting. It's a book that's won her legions of fans for its honesty and bravery; for some teens its been a life saver.

The other thing Cheryl and I have in common is our love for our dogs! I have to warn you, Cheryl has just about the funniest, cutest puppy you've ever seen! Petal is a Chinese Crested. When you see the photos and the video clip, you'll see why Cheryl named her Petal. Although personally, I think she could have named her Bunny too. So I give you Cheryl and Petal:

Petal and her ears!
1. How did you and Petal find each other?  Some time after my beloved Willow (also a Chinese Crested) died of congestive heart failure, I searched for another Chinese Crested because I loved Willow so much, and I found Petal--looking so happy and playful and cute! I actually had her flown in from another province (Cheryl and Petal live in Canada), and we bonded right away! She brings me happiness and love.

2. What makes Petal's tail wag?  Having me come home (along with much licking of my face,jumping on me, climbing all over me; she's just so happy to see me!) and sometimes just me talking to her.

Petal and friend
3. What's your all-time favorite dog story? I have a few--I can't pick just one: MCDUFF MOVES IN, by Rosemary Wells, HARRY THE DIRTY DOG, by Gene Zion, and SUPERDOG: the heart of a hero, by Caralyn Buehner.

4. If Petal could change just one thing about you, what would it be?  To have me worry less and play with her all day, and go on more walks.

5. In five words, tell us what Petal means to you:  Unconditional love, family, furry child.

**and here's a great little video of Petal you have to watch  www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYsdvDfAPpc

Thanks so much, Cheryl and Petal, for visiting Fido and Friend in Five! To find out more about Cheryl, be sure to visit her website and blog at www.cherylrainfield.com  She's got all kinds of cool stuff on her website for readers and writers alike. And keep on eye on her: she's got a new book coming out in October called Hunted.

No comments:

Post a Comment