Sunday, January 31, 2010

WYBOM


I've always wanted to try that Write a Novel in a Month thing. But, frankly, November really sucks as a time to do it! I mean, hello! Thanksgiving, Christmas madness, new snow.... and it always seems like I'm working on revisions during that month, as I was this month.

Okay, okay. Enough with the excuses. So a group of my fellow middle-grade and young adult writers have decided to do our own version of the November event, except in February. And we're calling it Write Your Butt Off Month (WYBOM). Why February? Well, I chose it because 1) I've pretty much recuperated from the holidays by now and 2) it's the month of Valentine's Day and I love to write and 3) duh: it's a short month!

So my ultimate goal is to have a first draft done of a new book by the end of the month. Which means I need to write at least six out of seven days a week. So I've been cleaning the house today, doing laundry. I'll head out in a little bit to stock up on things to eat that even my husband and stepson can fix, and to get lots of chewies for the dogs. In other words, boiling the hot water and getting the clean towels ready. I'm looking forward to this because I tend to take a looooong time to write first drafts--anywhere from 6-10 months. I edit as I go along. I want to try a completely new way of doing this, of getting this first draft down.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment